We’re reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Packing cubes are a relatively new phenomenon in the travel gear industry, but they have quickly become a well-loved addition to many travelers’ packing lists. What are these magical squares of nylon, you might ask?
They’re bags that organize your clothes for your trip! Packing cubes can help keep you organized by sectioning off socks, underwear, shirts, etc., into cubes, which will help keep your luggage neat and organized!
If you’re a well-organized person by nature, you may be wondering why in the world would I need those? If that’s the case, then please read on!
This post will explore the benefits of using packing cubes vs. just throwing your clothes in a suitcase.
Why You Need Packing Cubes
If you’re still unsure if you need to use packing cubes, then let’s think about this logically. If you throw all your clothes in a suitcase, what will happen?
Your clothes will be hopelessly jumbled amongst each other; not only is this bad for your clothes because they’ll get wrinkled, but it’s bad for your clothes because they’ll get crushed.
If you have a favorite shirt, how demoralizing would it be to pull out a crumpled wad of clothing from your suitcase?
Packing cubes solve this problem! Because packing cubes essentially compartmentalize your clothes into individual units that stack neatly on top of each other, clothes won’t get crushed, wrinkled, or lost. You simply pull out one cube at a time and place it on top of the pile to find what you’re looking for – a great way to stay organized!
How To Use Packing Cubes – A Practical Guide
Ever stared at your luggage, wondering how to make everything fit? With packing cubes, consider that challenge accepted!
Let’s embark on this packing journey together.
1. Packing By Category
Recreate the organization of your home but inside your luggage. This method is about familiarity:
- Shirt Drawer ➡️ Shirt Cube: Your tees and tops will feel right at home.
- Shoe Rack ➡️ Shoe Cube: Protect those lovely loafers or dazzling heels.
- Gadget Station ➡️ Electronic Organizer Cube: Chargers, adapters, headphones
Utilizing these specialized cubes is a great packing system. Not only ensures a place for everything but also that nothing gets left behind.
Don’t forget to bring an extra packing cube for dirty laundry! Regular packing cubes work fine but you can also buy a travel laundry bag.
2. Activity-Based Packing
Your vacation might involve sunbathing one day and trekking the next. Why not have a cube ready for each adventure?
- Beach Day: Swimsuit, sunscreen, and flip-flops.
- Mountain Hike: Trail shoes, a lightweight jacket, and energy bars.
- Fancy Dinner: That elegant dress or crisp shirt and tie combo.
Having a dedicated cube per activity is a smart packing process because ensures you’re always equipped, with no last-minute rummaging!
3. Day-By-Day Organization
This method is all about planning ahead and it also keeps you from bringing your entire suitcase. Jot down a mini itinerary of your travel days and pack accordingly:
- Monday: Casual sightseeing? Light layers and comfortable shoes.
- Tuesday: Museum hopping? A chic yet practical look.
Your luggage becomes a delightful daily surprise!
4. The Outfit Technique
Pick out distinct outfits for each day and dedicate a cube to each. Not only does this limit over-packing, but it also ensures you’re always looking your best. Bonus: mix and match pieces to optimize space and create versatile looks!
Mastering The Art of Tucking In Clothes:
- Blank Canvas Start: Embrace the emptiness; ensure those cubes are ready for action.
- Workspace Ready: Your bed or floor works wonders as a staging area.
- Fold, Roll, or Bundle: Everyone has a preferred packing style. Use it!
- Pile it Perfectly: Neat stacks make for hassle-free unpacking at your destination.
5. Color Coordination
If you’re someone who plans outfits around colors or just enjoys a visually pleasing suitcase, this technique is for you. Pack clothes of a particular color scheme into each cube:
- Cool Blues & Greens: One cube for your calming, cool-colored attire. Think beachy or forest hikes.
- Warm Reds & Yellows: Another cube for your fiery, bold choices. Perfect for a night out or a lively city tour.
- Neutrals & Earth Tones: For those times when you want understated elegance or easy mix-and-match options.
- Special Patterns & Prints: Got clothes with florals, polka dots, or unique patterns? Give them their own special cube!
This method is not only visually pleasing but also makes creating outfits a breeze. Feel like wearing blue today? Grab the blue cube and you’re set! Plus, if you’re traveling to a location where certain colors might be more culturally appropriate or weather-practical, this can be a helpful strategy.
6. Time-of-Day Division
Divide your clothes based on the time of day you’ll be wearing them:
- Morning Jog: Athletic wear and running shoes.
- Afternoon Excursion: Day outfits, hats, and sunglasses.
- Evening Elegance: Dinner attire, jewelry, and dress shoes.
No more wondering what to wear next; it’s all sorted by your daily agenda!
7. Mix & Match Method
If you love versatility, dedicate cubes to clothing pieces that can be easily mixed and matched:
- Basic Tees & Tops: Neutral or versatile colors that go with anything.
- Statement Bottoms: Bold pants, skirts, or shorts.
- Accessory Central: Scarves, belts, and jewelry that can change up any look.
This approach lets you come up with fresh outfits every day without overpacking!
9. Family Packing: One Cube, One Member
Traveling with the whole family? Assign each member a cube or set of cubes:
- Kids’ Corner: All the little one’s outfits, toys, and necessities.
- Mom’s Essentials: From her favorite book to her evening dress.
- Dad’s Gear: His hiking boots, camera equipment, and more.
This ensures everyone’s essentials are easily accessible and you don’t mix up belongings.
All Benefits of Using Packing Cubes
Finding The Best Packing Cubes For Travel
Make sure to check out our expert reviews for the best travel packing cubes:
How To Use Packing Cubes – Conclusion
Packing cubes are convenient to use; they help you pack and unpack easily. They save time since you don’t have to rummage through your luggage looking for a specific item. Packing cubes also prevent the clothes from getting crushed or wrinkled during your travels. Pack them by type, activity, the day on your vacation, or by different outfits – there are many ways to use packing cubes.Pack your clothes in them and you’ll never have to rummage through your luggage again!
FAQs About Packing Cubes
Let’s answer some frequently asked questions about packing cubes for travel to help you understand why it’s a great idea to use them:
Do Packing Cubes Really Help?
Yes, they do. Packing cubes can help keep your clothes nicely folded and organized during your travels, saving a ton of time unpacking! As mentioned, you won’t have to dig blindly through a pile of crumpled clothing.
Do Packing Cubes Save Space?
Yes, packing cubes help save space by efficiently using every inch of space. Packing cubes allow you to pack more stuff in a smaller suitcase because they maximize your space.
Part of this is caused by the fact that packing cubes help you precisely place each item of clothing where it belongs, making everything fit perfectly together like pieces in a puzzle. For the best results, we recommend compression packing cubes.
Do I Need to Buy Special Packing Cubes?
No, technically, you can use any bag or cube that’s the right size. However, we love packing cubes because they’re designed specifically for travel, so they fit your standard-sized suitcase perfectly. They come in different shapes, colors, and sizes, so you can choose the right ones depending on what you need for your trip.
Should I Fold My Clothes Before I Put Them In The Cube?
No, we recommend rolling your clothes instead of folding them. Rolling is an excellent way to save space without creasing your clothes, plus it’s faster!
Do Packing Cubes Work Better Than Rolling?
There is no doubt that rolling your clothing saves a lot of space and one might think that packing cubes take up too much space. We disagree. The best method is using thin packing cubes and rolling your clothes before you put them in. This way you save space while still keeping your clothes organized.