The Best First Time Solo Travel Destinations and Tips
Disclosure: Some of the links in this article may be affiliate links, which can provide compensation to me at no cost to you if you decide to make a purchase.
Are you thinking about taking that solo trip everyone’s been talking about? Solo travel as a woman is always an interesting experience. It can be daunting, but also empowering and rewarding. Where should you go to take your first solo trip? The answer to that question depends on your interests, where you live in the world, and how much money you want to spend.
In this blog post, we will highlight some of the best first-time solo destinations for those looking for a short or long-term adventure as well as important solo travel tips! This guide will help give you the confidence and knowledge needed for your next adventure abroad!
Why Solo Travel is Good For You
Solo travel is good for you because it forces you to push yourself and step out of your comfort zone and boost your self-confidence. You will meet new people, explore different cultures and expand your horizons in ways that would not be possible if someone else was around!
Solo traveling can also help with self-development as well as create lasting memories. It’s a great way to break the cycle of being cooped up in your home country. There are so many places in the world that you have never experienced, and there is no better time than right now! Being alone in a foreign country can often lead to unexpected adventures, so keep an open mind about what you may come across on your trip!
What Are The Best Places for Female Solo travel?
Are you a first-time female solo traveler? You’re not alone. Solo travel can be an amazing experience, but it’s also something that many people are intimidated by. If you’ve ever thought about traveling for the first time on your own, read on to find out where some of the best places for female solo travelers are.
Cancun is the number one travel destination for first-time female solo travelers because it not offers all of the comforts that you are used to ( but in a new environment), it’s also one of the most stunning beach destinations!
If you are looking for an affordable destination that still offers all of the luxuries of home then consider going to Cancun. You can book flights from most major US cities at very reasonable prices and this may be a great place if you have never traveled before because they speak English there which will make communicating very easy.
The weather in Cancun is amazing year-round with the average temperature being between 80 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit, so there isn’t a bad time of year to go!
Have you ever wanted to try scuba diving? Well, this might be the place for that because they have some fantastic scuba diving available in Cancun. If you are nervous about diving on your own, you can even book an excursion to go diving with one of their experts!
Another great thing about Cancun is that it’s such a popular tourist destination. There are plenty of restaurants and places to stay available, so you will never go hungry or be lacking something fun to do! Cancun makes an ideal base for exploring the Riviera Maya and you can take day trips or longer tours and meet other women who enjoy solo travel.
If you are traveling for a longer period then consider checking out Southeast Asia because there are many different countries including Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos or Myanmar that you can explore!
Travel throughout Southeast Asia is mostly safe for a woman on her own and your money will get you far here.
Southeast Asia is a great place to visit if you are trying to go on an adventure because there are so many different things for you to experience. One of the best ways to immerse yourself in this culture is by checking out some Muay Thai boxing while visiting Thailand, which may be your favorite thing to do while you are there!
Southeast Asia is the perfect destination for first-time solo travelers because it’s so easy to meet other people. The locals are extremely friendly and you can find other travelers all over the place, making it easy to make friends with fellow adventurers.
There are also plenty of hostels in Southeast Asia that have a young international vibe which makes meeting new people easy and enjoyable.
Prague, Czech Republic
Another fantastic first-time solo travel destination would be Prague in the Czech Republic.
Prague is a great place if you are looking for some culture, friendly locals, and fantastic nightlife! It’s also an affordable destination to visit because there are lots of hostels available where you can stay at very reasonable prices.
If this will be your first time traveling then it may be even more important that the country you go to speaks English, and Prague does have a lot of English speakers so it will be very easy for you to communicate!
Prague is the perfect place to visit if you haven’t traveled before because it’s a safe and affordable destination that offers many entertainment opportunities.
There are so many different things for tourists to do in Prague such as visiting historical sites, enjoying some delicious food or checking out one of the local pubs with live music!
The locals are extremely friendly and will be happy to help you find things that you are looking for or offer advice on where to go next.
New Zealand is one of the world’s most popular destinations for solo female travel. Not only because it got rated as the second safest country in the world, but it’s also the perfect place for adventure-hungry and nature-loving independent women.
New Zealand has a unique landscape as well as it is formed on one of the largest island groups in the world. The country is surrounded by oceans and very high peaks which provide spectacular scenery. From big mountains, beautiful coastlines, great rivers, deep forests and colorful lakes to stunning beaches – Aotearoa has it all.
The weather in New Zealand is very temperate, making it a wonderful place for solo travelers to visit at any time of the year.
New Zealand is a country where solo travel is both encouraged and supported. In New Zealand, you can easily find various independent travel agents and tour organizers to offer their services. These travel agencies provide professional advice and assistance on various travel-related issues and also help plan your travels. In addition to these services, many places in New Zealand are perfect for solo travelers to visit, like Lake Taupo, Lake Wanaka, and the Marlborough Sounds region.
All these regions have unique scenic beauty and they provide amazing backdrops and opportunities to take pictures, go hiking, swimming or fishing. There are a plethora of activities to enjoy during your solo travel.
Croatia is a great destination for first-time solo female travelers. Located in Southern Europe, Croatia is located in between the Mediterranean Sea and the Adriatic Sea and is surrounded by a lot of beautiful scenery. There is an abundance of places to see and activities to do while traveling alone. If you are traveling alone in this part of the planet, Croatia can be one of your best vacation spots. No wonder, that a lot of travel bloggers have this amazing country on their bucket list.
Women traveling solo love that Croatian people are very friendly and welcoming. But this isn’t the only reason why Croatia is one of the most preferred destinations for solo female travelers. It is the right destination for solo travelers on a budget because the cost of living is very affordable.
No matter if you choose to explore the inland regions with their contrasting landscapes or one of the many beautiful islands in the Adriatic Sea – there is no question that this is a paradise for solo travels.
If you are traveling alone you can easily find a hotel that will suit your needs as a solo traveler. Most Croatia hotels and hostels offer cozy rooms, free WiFi, and affordable food so that you can stay in comfort while exploring the beautiful surroundings. Most locals in bigger cities speak English and you will most likely meet a lot of other solo travelers that you can communicate with.
Many women traveling alone to Croatia choose to travel between May and September when the temperature is moderate at most times. You’ll also meet more fellow solo travelers during the summer month as traveling the world solo tends to be more fun when the weather is warm and you do some people watching while hanging out in an outdoor coffee shop.
There is no single best thing about Croatia as a destination for solo travelers. The place has everything that a solo traveler would look for in her ideal destination. From taking a walking tour through Dubrovnik to action-packed tours to the National Parks – Croatia is a diverse country and it can be a wonderful place for any type of individual.
Solo Female Travelers Guide: How To Prepare For Traveling Solo
If you want to make sure that your first time solo travel is a success, then consider doing some of the following things:
- Do the research and plan out what points of interest you would like to see. If this is your first time traveling alone it may be helpful for you to do more planning than someone who has done it before.
- Check out blogs and other online resources to see what people recommend. This can give you a good idea of where the local hotspots are and which things may be worth checking out.
- Make sure that you have all of your vaccinations in order if this is going to be one of your first times traveling outside the US or Canada.
- Try to find a trusted website that you can purchase travel insurance from in the event of emergencies such as stolen property or medical problems. This will give you peace of mind and ensure things run smoothly!
Tips And Tricks To Remember While Traveling Alone
If you are going to be traveling alone for the first time, then they’re a few top tips that you should keep in mind.
- Make sure to communicate with your loved ones at home about where you will be and when they can expect to hear from you again. This may take some of the stress off of them!
- Research local laws and customs before you go so that you can stay out of trouble while traveling.
- Pack lightly! This is important because if you want to travel or explore a new destination then it would be best for your belongings to come along with you instead of staying in the hotel room somewhere else. We recommend traveling with a backpack.
- Try not to get too drunk in public areas when traveling, especially if this is going for your first solo trip. You want to enjoy yourself but don’t want to do anything that you will regret.
- Remember, this is your trip and no one else’s! Don’t let anyone else dictate what you should see or how long it takes for things to play out. You are in charge of the itinerary on this journey!
It can be a bit scary and intimidating to plan out a first-time solo trip, but it can be extremely rewarding as well. If you prepare yourself for the worst then you should be fine! Have fun and enjoy seeing new things without having to share them with anyone else along the way!
What To Pack When Going on a Solo Trip
It’s important to pack lightly when traveling so that you have the freedom of movement necessary for exploring new places.
- Bring about half as many clothes as usual because it can be difficult to do laundry if you’re somewhere with limited services or where washing machines are hard to find. This will help keep your suitcase light and allow you more room for souvenirs!
- Bring a power bank so that you can charge your phone when necessary. This is something else to keep in mind because it’s not always easy to find an outlet or somewhere with free WiFi nearby if you’re planning on traveling abroad.
- Try to limit yourself to one bag, but if need be then bring a smaller purse or backpack that you can carry around with you. You may find yourself doing a lot of walking and climbing up and downstairs, so it’s best to pack lightly!
- Bring your identification, credit cards, cash in the local currency for where you are going (if necessary), passport/visa if needed, travel insurance information, and travel insurance card.
- Bring travel toiletries like deodorant, toothbrush/toothpaste, sunscreen (if it’s the summertime), shampoo/conditioner if you will be staying in hotels or hostels with shared bathrooms.
- You can also bring extra medical supplies just in case! For example: Bandages, allergy medicine, pain reliever, anti-itch cream for bug bites.
Important Things Not To Miss Out On As a Solo Female Traveler
Some of the best things to do while traveling solo include:
- Visiting historical sites and landmarks. You can learn about a place’s history by reading up on it beforehand or talking with locals who know a lot about it.
- Visiting off-the-beaten-path places that not many other people know about! This is where you can get to explore and take in your surroundings without being distracted by anyone else nearby.
- Going to local events as well as festivals, because this will allow you to meet new people who are interested in the same things as you. You can also learn a lot about local customs and traditions this way!
- Try to avoid traveling during the winter months if possible, because it may be too cold or snowy for your liking and some places might be closed due to lack of tourism at that time of year.
- Eat out by yourself at restaurants and cafes. If you’re uncomfortable with this then wait until people leave the table before ordering your food or take something to go and eat it elsewhere! This can be a good way to get out of your comfort zone, get some alone time as well as socialize with locals who don’t speak English very well. You might even meet other solo female travelers.
- Try new things such as trying out different restaurants, going on a night out, or trying new types of transportation. This is where your solo trip can shine because you are free to do whatever sounds appealing at the time!
- Don’t be afraid to say no if someone invites you somewhere and it’s not something that interests you. You don’t have to go along with anything just for the sake of it. You can make your own decisions and stay true to what you want out of the trip!
- Try not to compare yourself with other solo travelers because everyone is on their own journey, has a different style of traveling, and maybe in places that are completely different from where you are currently staying or visiting.
- Don’t forget to make time to relax and unwind! This is important for both your mental health, as well as physical.
Solo travel is a great way to enjoy time alone and see the world
When you go on your first solo trip, it’s important to be prepared for any situation that may arise. We have provided you with the best solo destinations, solo travel tips and tricks for your first trip solo as well as packing advice so that you can focus more on enjoying yourself rather than worrying about logistics! Have fun out there and don’t forget to download our free Vacation Countdown App for you your solo trip.